An election happened in America yesterday. I’m glad the election is over, so I can go back to my normal stable of commercials for fiber supplements and prescription medications I need to ask my doctor about.
However, politics brings out the absolute worst in human beings. Whether it’s outright lies, blatant attacks, or pure corruption, there’s something that absolutely disgusts me as a voter about how we have our civic discourse and allow our politicians and media outlets to talk to us. We’re smarter and better than that.
Still, some people use Twitter and other social media to spread divisive crap. I’ve written before how I think politics divides people online easily. This is the crap I noticed, over, and over again this past cycle. Let’s put this to an end, sit down nicely, and make real changes.
- Anything about Sarah Palin – Sarah Palin divides people. Period. I wanted to start this with the sentence, “Wherever you stand on Sarah Palin,” but that just proved my point that she does not bring people together. Let Sarah Palin do her own politicking.
- Characters Tweets about Politics – I don’t care what Drunk Hulk or General Grievous think of American politics. They aren’t real. Give me real information.
- What the F*@# has Obama Done? – Democrats, if you want to spread online campaign materials, try to do so BEFORE the day of the election.
- Witchcraft and Masturbation – I’m glad that as Americans, our politics are based entirely on someone’s religion and their stance on what people do in the bedroom. I’m also glad that people can’t fuck up as kids and change for the better. EVER.
I have to admit, there were some tweets I loved this election cycle.
- The encouragement to vote – Regardless of people’s personal politics and who they would vote for, I saw a lot of people encouraging others to get out and vote. This is awesome. Peer pressuring people to vote is the best thing we can do.
What did you see that you hated? Surely something got under your skin. I want to know about it.